A famous German biochemist and homoeopath Dr. Wilhelm Heinrich Schuessler introduced the Biochemic system of treatment in 1873. He was influenced by Rudolf Virchow, Father of Pathology and to his cell theory.
Dr. Schuessler acknowledged the presence of twelve Biochemic minerals or inorganic salts present in every cell of the human body. These salts belong to the potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron and silica group. Each of these mineral salts plays a crucial role and together, they help in preserving the harmony in the living organism. Accurate balance of these inorganic salts is vital for the appropriate functioning of body tissues thus, maintaining health. Dr. Schuessler supposed that any alteration or deficiency in the requisite quantity of these twelve mineral nutritive salts lead to the production of a disease. On replenishing the body with the deficient amount of inorganic salts, the body is capable of re-establishing health. These twelve inorganic salts are termed as Biochemic Tissue Salts. Bestowing credit to Dr. Schuessler, founder of Biochemic system of medicine, these salts were named after him. Therefore, they are also known as Schuessler Cell Salts.
The aim of prescribing Biochemic medicine is to provide the body with the deficient cell nutrient salt. Dr. Schuessler considered that these Biochemic medicines act directly on the cellular level and boost the production of the deficient mineral salt. Biochemic remedies act only if there is an existence of deficiency of a particular salt.
Though Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, founder of Homoeopathic system of medicine gave importance to these inorganic tissue salts as remedies yet, the recognition of formulating the Biochemic system of therapeutics goes to Dr. Schuessler, as he put this idea in the form of a new system of therapeutics. The Biochemic system of medicine is based on a firm foundation. As Biochemic remedies arose from a homoeopathic background, Dr. Schuessler has utilized several of its basic doctrines.
Dr. Schuessler recognized the necessity of potentising the Biochemic Remedies, as these salts were inert in their natural state. Method of preparation of Biochemic and Homoeopathic medicines are identical, there is no difference in them. Biochemic remedies are utilized in low potencies in the range of 3X, 6X, 12X up to 30X; while Homoeopathic medicines are utilized in potencies varying from low to high, in the centesimal scale. Decimal scale is used to prepare Biochemic medicines using the principles of homoeopathy. The process of trituration is used to prepare tissue salts. Biochemic salts are available in the form of chewable tablets. Lactose (milk sugar) is the chief constituent of these tablets.
SELECTION OF BIOCHEMIC REMEDY
The name of a disease holds hardly much importance in the Biochemic mode of treatment. It is symptoms, which are a guide to the nature of the body’s deficiency and to the appropriate corrective treatment required. Symptoms are the expression of the body. They are the pointers, which shall indicate the required Biochemic remedy. Characteristic symptoms of a patient shall help in differentiating and selection of the appropriate Biochemic remedy.
Dr. Schuessler states that, a deficiency of a particular cell salt gives rise to a specific set of symptoms which points to the need of a particular remedy to restore the equilibrium of the salt in the body. Every Biochemic remedy has its own differentiating symptom. It will be seen that only one remedy shall correspond very closely to the symptoms produced by the patient due to the deficiency. The success of Biochemic treatment lies in fulfilling the deficiency of the mineral salt through the Biochemic medicines. Selection of Biochemic remedies is done on the basis of “Law of Similars“. The totality of symptoms expressed by the patient due to the deficiency is matched with the totality of symptoms produced by the Biochemic remedies.
DESCRIPTION OF 12 TISSUE SALTS
To acquire satisfactory results from Dr. Schuessler’s Biochemic System of Medicine, it is essential to possess adequate knowledge regarding the 12 tissue salts individually. Having a knowledge regarding the symptoms and sphere of action of each of these remedies shall be useful while prescribing. The Biochemic Salts are invaluable in the treatment of several conditions while being less expensive and without producing any side effects.
Below are mentioned characteristic symptoms of each of the Biochemic salts thus, enabling quicker, easier and appropriate selection of Biochemic remedy:-
Calcarea Fluoricum or Calc Fluor (Calcium fluoride)
Calc Flour is found in the cells of the bone, enamel of the teeth, and in the fibers of the skin. It helps in maintaining the elasticity of the muscles and skin and protects teeth and bones.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Tooth decay; Gum conditions; Prolapse of uterus; Adenoids; Varicose veins; Hiatus hernia; Fistula; Piles; Fissures; Psoriasis; Eczema; Cataract; etc.
- Induration threatening suppuration
- Acute indigestion from fatigue and brain-fag
- Swellings or indurated enlargements of joints, or in the tendons; Indurations of stony hardness
- Vivid dreams of death
- Worse – during rest, changes of weather, sprains
- Better – heat, warm applications, rubbing
Calcarea Sulphuricum or Calc Sulph (Calcium sulphate)
Calc Sulph is a component of connective tissue and mucous membrane. It is used to detoxify the blood and is used in suppurating conditions. Calc Sulph heals abscesses after Sil has been given.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Boils; Acne; Herpes; Otitis; Abscess; Suppurating wounds; Eczema; Fibroids; Cystic tumors; Leucorrhoea; etc.
- Mucous discharges are yellow, thick and lumpy
- Painful abscesses about the anus in cases of fistula
- Burning-itching of soles of feet
- Taste soapy
Worse – after getting wet; touch, cold
Better – In a warm, dry atmosphere, open air; bathing; eating; uncovering
Calcarea Phosphoricum or Calc Phos (Calcium phosphate)
Calc Phos maintains the health of bones and teeth. It is required for the formation of new bone cells.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Bone conditions; Tardy dentition; Anemia; Dental caries; Digestive disorders; Curvature of spines; Gall stones; Delayed milestones; Re-establishing health after acute or chronic diseases; etc
- Numbness and crawling are characteristic sensations.
- Affinity to perspiration and enlargement of glands
- Craving for bacon, ham, salted or smoked meats
- Much flatulence
- At every attempt to eat, colicky pain in abdomen
- Fistula in ano, alternating with chest symptoms
- Soreness in sacro-iliac symphysis, as if broken
Worse – exposure to damp, cold weather; melting snow; dentition; mental exertion; puberty; thinking of complaints; lifting.
Better – in summer; warm, dry atmosphere; lying down
Kalium Phosphoricum or Kali Phos (Potassium phosphate)
Kali Phos is a nerve cell mineral. It is helpful in maintaining the health of brain and nerves. This salt is useful in the cases of weak and emotional patients.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Depression; Hysteria; Mental fatigue; Insomnia; Weakness; Examination fear; Insanity; Brain fag; Nervousness; Phobias; Stress; Anaemia; Paralysis; Epilepsy; Enuresis; etc.
Conditions arising from want of nerve power, neurasthenia, mental and physical depression.
- Slightest labor seems a heavy task
- Humming and buzzing in the ears
- Breath offensive, fetid
- Asthma; least food aggravates.
- Hungry; but sight of food takes away all appetite.
Worse – cold; early morning; excitement; worry, mental and physical exertion; eating
Better – warmth; rest; sleep; nourishment
Kali Muriaticum or Kali Mur (Potassium chloride)
Kali Mur prevents congestion and is useful in stomach conditions caused due to fatty or rich food.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Catarrh; Croup; Otitis; Glandular swelling; Eczema; Asthma; Sore throat; Tonsillitis; Whooping cough; Measles; Orchitis; Colds; Gastric catarrh; Bronchitis; etc.
- White or gray coating of base of tongue
- Chronic, catarrhal conditions of the middle ear
- Snapping in the ear
- Threadworms, causing itching at the anus
- Swelling around the joints
- Indigestion is caused by fatty or rich food
- Dry scales on the skin
Worse – open air, lying, night, rich food, fats, motion.
Better – cold drinks, rubbing, letting hair down.
Kalium Sulphuricum or Kali Sulph (Potassium sulphate)
Kali Sulph helps in the exchange of oxygen in the cells. It is present in all the cells that contain iron. Kali Sulp helps in bringing out the suppressed eruptions. It further enhances the action of other remedies.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Dandruff; Eczema; Itching of skin; Psoriasis; Lupus; Urticaria; Alopecia; Bronchitis; Pharyngitis; Chronic suppurative otitis media; Bronchial asthma; Dropsy; Dyspepsia; Headache; Rheumatoid arthritis; Leucorrhoea; Vertigo; etc.
- Ailments associated with profuse desquamation
- Indicated in the later stages of inflammation
- Yellow, mucous and serous discharges, profuse and intermittent
- Engorgement of the nasal pharyngeal mucous membrane
- Rattling of mucus in chest
- Shifting, wandering pains
- Taste: insipid, pappy; lost
- Orchitis from suppressed gonorrhea
- Acute and wandering rheumatism of joints
Worse – in evening, noise, consolation, heated room
Better – cool, open air; walking; fasting
Ferrum Phosphoricum or Ferr Phos (Iron phosphate)
Ferr Phos is the tissue salt that carries oxygen to every part of the body. It has the ability to withdraw oxygen from inhaled air. It is present in the composition of haemoglobin.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Anaemia; Initial stages of inflammation and fevers; Vertigo; Contusions; Sprains; Haemorrhages; Dilation of arteries; Colitis; Recurrent colds; Catarrhal condition of respiratory tract; Crohn’s disease; Mastitis; Rheumatism; Nephritis; Headache in children; Pain reduction in cancers; etc.
- Indicated in the first stage of all febrile disturbances and inflammations before exudation sets in
- Feeling as of sand under lids
- Predisposition to colds
- Aversion to meat and milk
- Vomiting of undigested food
- Urine spurts with every cough
- Diurnal enuresis
- Expectoration of pure blood in pneumonia
- Short, quick, soft pulse
- Toothache always appearing after eating food
- Urine smells like café au lait
- Chill daily at 1 pm.
Worse – night and 4 to 6 pm; cold air; suppressed sweat; touch; jar; motion; right side.
Better – cold applications; lying down
Magnesium Phosphoricum or Mag Phos (Magnesium phosphate)
The tissue salt Mag Phos is found in the white matter of nervous system and bone marrow. It helps in the relaxation of smooth muscles hence, produces an antispasmodic impact over the muscle tissue.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Menstrual pains; Spasms; Cramps; Colic; Neuralgia; Muscular pains; Muscular twitching; Headache; Convulsions; Flatulence; Insomnia; Spasmodic cough; Spasmodic asthma; Spasm of eyelid; Behavioral disorders in children; Angina pectoris; Visual disturbance; Epilepsy; Palsy; Colitis; etc.
- Complaints of teething children
- Bloated sensation in abdomen; must loosen clothing and constantly pass flatus.
- Toothache; better by heat and hot liquids.
- Chills run up and down the back, followed by a suffocating sensation.
- Membranous dysmenorrhea
- Severe neuralgic pain
- Constant lamenting about the pain
Worse – lying on right side, touch, cold, night
Better – bending double, warmth, pressure, friction
Natrum Phosphoricum or Nat Phos (Sodium phosphate)
Nat Phos plays an important role in the regulation of water. Deficiency of this tissue salt leads to imbalance in the water content of the body giving rise to oedema and diarrhoea. It is a vital digestive tract salt. It is useful in neutralizing acids and aids in the assimilation of nutrients and fats.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Hyperacidity; Indigestion; Sour eructations; Vomiting; Heartburn; Dyspepsia; Dizziness; Nocturnal Enuresis; Jaundice; Tuberculosis; Gastritis; Gastric ulcer; Gout; etc.
- Conditions arising from excess of lactic acid
- Ailments, with excess of acidity
- Discharge of golden-yellow, creamy matter from the eyes
- Thin, moist coating on the tongue
- Sour eructations, sour vomiting, and greenish diarrhea
- Emissions with weakness in back and trembling in limbs
- During menses: feet icy cold by day, burn at night in bed
Worse – milk, mental exertion, fat food, sugar, thunderstorm
Better – cold
Natrum Sulphuricum or Nat Sulph (Sodium sulphate)
Nat Sulp helps in the excretion of excessive water from the body. It acts as a liver cleanser and also helps in maintaining proper functioning of the liver, pancreas, spleen and kidneys. Nat Sulp is not to be given if there is presence of bleeding.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Pedal oedema; Gastric biliousness; Bilious colic; Vomiting of bile; Indigestion; Liver disorders; Flu symptoms; Acidity; Urine retention; Stiff rheumatism; etc.
- Feels every change from dry to wet
- Head symptoms from injuries to head
- Dreams of running water
- Nasal catarrh, with thick, yellow discharge
- Brown, bitter coating on tongue
- Great size of the fecal mass
- Leucorrhea yellowish-green, following gonorrhea in female
- Diarrhea: sudden, urging, gushing, much flatus; on first rising and standing on the feet
- Gonorrhea: greenish-yellow, painless, thick discharge
- Must hold chest when coughing
- Every fresh cold brings on attack of asthma
Worse – music; damp weather; lying on left side; open air; dampness of basement; damp weather.
Better– dry weather; pressure; lying on back; open air; changing position.
Natrum Muriaticum or Nat Mur (Sodium chloride)
Nat Mur is indicated when the secretions in the body are either increased or decreased. It has an affinity for water distribution. Nat mur maintains a balance of moisture throughout the organism. It is the most significant electrolyte in the human body.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Dry skin; Constipation; Chapped lips; Cold with running nose or stuffy nose; Watery diarrhea; Loss of smell and taste; Sun stroke; Intermittent fever; Diabetes; Toothache; Hydrocele; Stomach ache; Heart failure; Brain fag; Asthma; Bronchitis; Vaginal dryness; Pleurisy; Excessive perspiration; Dry cough; Enuresis; etc.
- Great weakness and weariness
- Great emaciation; loosing flesh while living well
- Consolation aggravates
- Headache in schoolchildren
- Slow in learning to walk
- Dreams: of robbers in the house
- Intermittents: paroxysm at 10 or 11 a. m
- Tongue: mapped, with red insular patches
- Muscles weak and stiff
- Pain in eyes when looking down
- Asthenopia due to insufficiency of internal recti muscles
- Violent, fluent coryza
- Infallible for stopping a cold commencing with sneezing
- Loss of smell and taste
- Numbness, tingling of tongue
- Sweats while eating
- Numbness and tingling in fingers and lower extremities
- Contraction of muscles and tendons
Worse – noise, music, consolation, warm room, lying down; at 10 or 11 am; at seashore, mental exertion, talking
Better – open air (Apis, Puls.), going without regular meals, cold bathing, lying on right side, pressure against back, tight clothing
Silicea or Sil (Silicon Dioxide)
Silicea is present in the hair, nails, skin, and connective tissues. It is indicated for suppuration and pus formation. Sil aids in cleansing the blood and prevents the formation of abscesses. It is beneficial in maintaining the health of hair, skin and nails.
Indicated in the treatment of:- Acne; Brittle nails; Weak memory; Delayed healing; Weeping Eczema; Pyorrhoea; Poor assimilation of food; Boils; Disorders of hair; Bone diseases; Caries; Skin ulcers with tendency to suppurate; Abscess; Styes; Pustular Tonsillitis; Furuncles; Pustules; Herpes; Suppuration of bones; Fistula with ulcerations; Fissures; Corneal ulcer; etc.
- Imperfect assimilation and consequent defective nutrition
- Bad effects of vaccination
- Intolerance of alcoholic stimulants
- Profuse and offensive sweating of head extending to neck
- Lachrymal duct swollen
- Suppurative processes
- Sensation of a hair on tongue
- Parotid glands swollen
- Pricking as of a pin in tonsil
- Stool comes down with difficulty; when partly expelled, recedes again
- Constipation always before and during menses
- Icy coldness over whole body
- Violent cough when lying down, with thick, yellow lumpy expectoration
- Offensive sweat on feet
- Soreness in feet from instep through to the sole
- Promotes expulsion of foreign bodies from tissues
- Suffering parts feel cold
- Aids in ripening abscesses and boils
Worse – morning; night; sleep; washing; during menses; winter; full moon or new moon.
Better – Heat; wrapping up head; summer and in warm room.
DOSAGE & ADMINISTRATION
Potency & Dosage
To restore the deficiencies of the inorganic salts at the cellular level, the cell salts are prescribed in low decimal potency. Biochemic remedies are available in tablet form in lower potencies ranging from 3x, 6x, 12x to 30x. Dr. Schuessler considered the 6X potency as the most useful potency hence the commonly used potency of Biochemic medicine is 6X.
As the cell salts are present in minute quantities in the body, Biochemic medicines are also prescribed in minute doses. Each Biochemic remedy should be appropriately diluted to re-establish the hampered function. The dosage and repetition of dose differs from patient to patient, which can be assessed properly by a qualified Homoeopathic physician. Administration of doses and potency is dependent on numerous factors. Depending on the requirement of the case, Biochemic medicines can be repeated every 5 minutes, too. As the condition improves, the interval between the two doses can be increased. The medicine can be stopped after the deficiency is fulfilled.
How to Take
Certain instructions have to be followed when consuming Biochemic medicine. Some of them are as follows:-
- Avoid consumption of food or drinks minimum 10-15 minutes before and after taking the medicine.
- Avoid intake of raw onions and strong coffee as they interfere with the action of the medicine.
- The medicine should be kept on or below the tongue and the medicine should not be chewed or swallowed. The medicine itself gets dissolved in the saliva.
Below are mentioned different modes of consuming the Biochemic chewable tablet –
- Appropriate dose of tablet, as suggested by the Homoeopathic physician is consumed by placing over or under the tongue.
- Suggested dose is dissolved in one-fourth to half a cup of lukewarm water, the tablets are allowed to dissolve and then the mixture is consumed. Repetition shall be as per the advice of the physician.
Recommended Treatment Duration
There is no fixed treatment duration of Biochemic mode of treatment. The duration differs from patient to patient depending on the deficiency levels. Few patients may require the medicine for longer periods while few may require it for a shorter period. The Homoeopathic physician shall be the best person to advice the treatment duration for every individual case.
STORAGE OF TISSUE SALTS
The Tissue Salts should be stored in a cool place. It should be stored in a closed airtight box, away from moisture and from strong smells.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BIOCHEMIC TISSUE SALTS & HOMOEOPATHIC MEDICINES
Biochemic medicines are prepared and administered only in low potencies whereas Homoeopathic medicines are prepared and administered in both, low and high potencies.
Biochemic medicines are prepared in the decimal scale (X) while homoeopathic medicines are prepared in the centesimal scale (C).
Biochemic medicine acts on the physiological level while Homoeopathic medicines acts on the energy level. Biochemic medicines replenish the deficient mineral salt while Homoeopathic medicines stimulate the body to heal itself.
Deficiency of a mineral salt gives rise to symptoms in Biochemic mode of therapeutics while in Homoeopathy disturbed vital force gives rise to symptoms.
Biochemic medicines are 100% natural hence; these medicines are safe and are well tolerated in people of all age groups and both sexes, though it should be taken only under medical advice and supervision.
Biochemic salts do not have any side effects. They are natural mineral salts and not chemicals hence, there are no side effects observed.
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding
Biochemic tissue salts are safe to be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding, but only under the supervision of a qualified Homoeopathic physician.
There are no contraindications noted for the use of Biochemic medicines but they should always be taken only when prescribed by a qualified Homoeopathic physician.
Biochemic medicine is an inorganic salt used to fulfill the requirement of the deficient tissue salt. They are natural mineral salts. Hence, there is no drug interactions observed.